At the far end of the village is a remnant from plantation times. This is the surviving gable of its original church dating from 1826. On the opposite side of the road under the peresent rectory was the ‘castle’. This was beseiged in 1641 and its ruins demolished in the renovation and enhancement of the village by the Grocers Company in the 1820′s. The current parish church behind was another symtom of this change it was funded by the company and constructed in 1821.