Situated at the foot of Slieve Gullion in Co Armagh, this small castle was created from a preceding house in 1836 by the architect George Papworth. It has a commanding view of the surrounding countryside and inside has elegant drawing rooms and a small library with bedrooms above. For many years it was almost a ruin, too small to be converted into anything other than an expensive house, but in recent years it has become the high status centrepiece of a hotel which is largely housed in an conversion and extension of the former stable block and mill. Great to see it given new lifer and restored to its former beauty.
Marks of Time
Sketches of buildings in the North West of Ireland and further afield with a little information about their history.