This building known as ‘the Hermitage’ is located on Roe Mill Road in Limavady. Hidden from the street by a high brick wall it looks south over historically landscaped grounds towards the River Roe. As a private house it was clearly built with some style and pretension with formal Doric columns flanking the entrance door and supporting a pediment which contains a semicircular window and a raking cornice with dentil course. The building has a vagulely American feel with faint echo’s of Thomas Jefferson’s Virginia University with its bright columns and stong pediment off set by deep red brick. The history of the house is that it was built around 1835 for the Cather Family owners of a distillery further along Roe Mill Road. David Cather reputedly started distilling between 1814 and 1818 and in 1835 the business passed to his son William. Output was 21,000 gallons in 1833/34. The distillery was expanded but was closed by 1859. One source suggests that this may be because William’s daughter, Margaret, was a very strong supporter of the Limavady Total Abstinence Society,
Limavady bus station sits on the site of the town's former train station at the end of Main Street. Designed by Albert Wallace Architects and completed in 2000. It is a discrete and self contained building that contributes to the architecture of the town. Its location in a hollow also allows a fine view of Binevenagh mountain in the distance.
Limavady Methodist Church is also on Irish Green Street and is a small building with a strong street presence. It displays one of the nice things about Limavady’s historic buildings - variety of stone work. In the area there are/were schist quarries, sandstone quarries and bassalt quarries as well as extensive brick fields. In this building the hard bassalt stone is trimmed off at the corners and openings by yellow brick. This is a givaway of its age because such brick was imported from Belfast and arrived in the area after the comming of the railways in the middle of the nineteenth century. In fact, the building was built in in 1877. It replaced an earlier building, which was situated up an entry at the east end of Main Street .
Second Limavady Presbyterian Church, Irish Green Street. Erected in 1840, it is typical of Presbyterian Churches of the time with a narrow entrance hall with stairs at each side leading to a gallery above and a classically inspired front facade. This is a little more ornate than most with a cut sandstone face and four Ionic pilasters apparently supporting an entablature with triangular pediment. It is a deliberately considered piece of architecture. Formerly there was a school and church hall framing the building to the street. This has now been replaced by a car park, but planting closer to the building helps to complement its symmetrical layout.
Marks of Time
Sketches of buildings in the North West of Ireland and further afield with a little information about their history.