This 12th century church is of the traditional type with projecting side walls aping the forms of the side column of a timber predecessor (antae) often such buildings have stone ‘winged finials’ at ends of the ridge mirroring the form of crossed timbers but there is no evidence of this here. What it does have is this huge lintel with a carved Greek Cross slightly off vertical within a rectangular surround over the door. Legend has it that this huge stone was put into position by the saint himself using the power of prayer. Illustrated in George Petrie's influential 'Ecclesiastical Architecture of Ireland', which was published in 1845, the form has been copied many time since, including for the lintel of the recreated early medieval church in the Ulster History park near Omagh in Co Tyrone.
Marks of Time
Sketches of buildings in the North West of Ireland and further afield with a little information about their history.