January 28th, 2021
A favourite place. The Museum of Irish Country Life, Castlebar, Co Mayo. Starkly modern museum in a historic setting. Modern sculptures in the park. Nice café too - when such things are open.
ballyartan Road, Claudy
In the later half of the Nineteenth century the standard white washed vernacular houses of this area began to be replaced in the prosperous lowland areas by more formal buildings. A remaining thatched house near Claudy illustrates this development very well. An older 'direct entry' house has a two story formal house as an extension. The gable of the new house has projecting stones at high level- presumably to accommodate a taller replacement at a future date for the thatched portion.
January 26th, 2021
Glendalough is a fascinating 'monastic city' set within a remote and very beautiful glen in the Wicklow mountains. Established by St Kevin in the 6th century most of the remnants that can be seen today date from the 10th to the 12th centuries. This is St Kevin's Church at the heart of the complex. Dating from the 12th century, it has the top of a Round Tower incorporated into the roof at the east end. This is an unusual but not unknown feature. A similar church is part of the complex at Clonmacnoise in the midlands for example
Lusk Church, Co Dublin, exhibits the unusual combination of a Round Tower with a later tower house attached and a nineteenth century church nave. A fascinating and romantic place. The Round Tower is thought to date from the 11th century, the Norman tower house from the 15th.
January 21st, 2021
Clones High Cross is located in the Diamond (town square) of this market town. It is made up of two ancient crosses thought to date to around the tenth century and a more recent carved stone (nineteenth century) at the top.. The cross will have been relocated here from the abbey to the south of the settlement which still retains its round tower. This side shows the crucifixion in the centre of the wheel and below on the shaft: 'Daniel in the Lions' Den' , 'The Sacrifice of Isaac' and below that 'Adam and Eve'. North-west face of shaft bears 'The Adoration of the Magi', 'The Wedding at Cana' and 'The Multiplication of the Loaves and Fishes'.
tynan Village Cross
The Village Cross Tynan, one of four fragmentary high crosses in this area. This cross is thought to be made from the remnants of two. It was recorded near this position in the late nineteenth century and moved away from the road to avoid damage by traffic in 1960. The lowest part of the shaft is best preserved, with remnants of Adam and Eve identifiable. The upper part was extensively repaired in the nineteenth century. It it is an important entry marker to those entering this very historic village.
January 18th, 2021
Decorated cross base, Killoan, near Drumquin, Co Tyrone. Set near the boundary of an isolated field this is a very unusual structure thought to be the base of a cross. There is no recorded history of a church at this site but the townland name, combined with this structure, suggests that this was the case. A remnant of what once was.
January 11th, 2021
Camus High Cross near Coleraine. Overlooking the River Bann . 'Thrown down' in 1760 & the top broken off. 'long desecrated as a gate post' until following public subscription and action of the local council, it was replaced on its stone base in 1905 & moved from W to E end of the graveyard. The ornament on the sandstone pillar is weathered but on E face there panels are considered to be: the Adoration of the Magi, the Baptism of Christ, the Marriage Feast of Cana and possibly the Miracle of the Loaves and Fishes. On the W face the scenes are the Fall of Man, possibly Cain & Abel (with a third figure), Noah's Ark and the Sacrifice of Isaac. An ancient bullaun stone is also located in the graveyard (a hollowed stone, possibly a holy water stoop)
The site overlooks historic ford and island which was a stronghold of the McQuillans and O’Cahans during the 16th century. A wooden castle was reported there in 1544.
January 07th, 2021
The three churches at Loughinisland near Downpatrick. Located on a former island they date from the 13th to the17th centuries. Earliest reference to a church here 1302-1306. North church built 15th century and smallest and latest to the south is dated 1636. The MacCartans are associated with the site.
Ardboe Cross on the shores of Lough Neagh. Thought to date from the 10th or 11th century. Highly carved on both sides ,though weathered and open to interpretation. Eastern face Adam and Eve, sacrifice of Issac, Daniel in the Lion's Den, Arck of the Covenant, Funeral Urns (the resurrection) Christ in Judgement. great atmospheric location. Western face (shown here) from bottom: the Nativity, the Adoration, Last Supper, Triumphal entry into Jerusalem, Christ taken prisoner, the Crucifixion.
Marks of Time
Sketches of buildings in the North West of Ireland and further afield with a little information about their history.