Westport House , has a town gate near to the Octagon. Set in fine grounds it is well worth a visit. This is the west front of 1730 overlooking the ornamental lake. The house was redesigned by Richard Cassels in the 1730's and completed by James Wyatt in the 1770's
The Octagon, Westport, Co Mayo, cetrepiece of the town plan designed by the eminent Eighteenth Century architect James Wyatt. The central monument was erected in 1845 to commemorate George Glendenning, Agent of the Bank of Ireland and key to the devlopment of the town in the early nineteenth century. In addition to the statue on top of the column, two more sat at either side of its base. Damaged in 1922 the staues were removed in 1945 and, in 1990, St Patrick was put on top of the column and new panels inserted at the base recounting his life’s story.
Marks of Time
Sketches of buildings in the North West of Ireland and further afield with a little information about their history.