Quintin Caste is located near the southern tip or the Ards peninsula in Co.Down. It faces onto Qunitin Bay and across the Irish Sea. Its appearance today dates from 1855 when the existing medieval tower house was significantly remodelled and extended in a dramatic fashion. This included the raising in height of the central tower, the addition of drawing and dining rooms and the rebuilding of the courtyard walls gates and towers. The original tower house was built by John de Courcy in the Twelfth century soon after the Anglo Norman invasion. This was renovated and a large house added in the early Seventeenth century. By the time of the Ordnance Survey Memoirs in the 1830's the building was roofless and dilapidated. Until recently the building was a private home. Proposals to convert it into a hotel were refused planning permission by the local council in April 2021
Sketrick Castle, Co Down, based upon a photograph taken before most of the structure collapsed in 1896. Some sources say that this was in a storm while others state that ‘the south-western angle fell with a great crash one calm spring day, shaking the castle and raising a tall column of white dust’. The tower is reported in an account of a 1470 battle but some have suggested that due to its size the current structure is from the 16th century. The structure guards the approach to Sketrick island on Strangford Lough and is now a Monument in State Care.
Marks of Time
Sketches of buildings in the North West of Ireland and further afield with a little information about their history.