Also on the riverfront is the elegant Star Factory. A former shirt factory built in 1899 with a steel frame allowing plenty of glazing and this light into the interior it was gutted by fire in the early 1990’s but subsequently conserved and converted into apartments.
Also on the riverfront is the iconic Peace Bridge of 2011 - currently gearing up for the city's big Halloween celebration this weekend.
Further along the riverfront, the old Foyle College building, now part of the Magee campus of the University of Ulster. Opened in 1814, it functioned as a school until the 1970’s.
On the other side of the car park is the former Bryce and Weston shirt factory. This was converted into a supermarket with apartments above in 2001. The building was constructed in 1921 in a simplified classical style and continued in that use until the 1970’s. Sitting back from the road, it imparts a sense of grandeur to its lower surroundings
Closer into town. ‘Derry Quay’ as it appeared in the late nineteenth century. To the right is the graving dock, now filled in and used as Sainsbury’s car park.
Pennyburn Primary School, demolished in 2000, was also by Liam McCormick. A competition winning design with partner Frank Corr, it opened in 1950. Massive stone clad walls were contrasted with light glass filled partitions. Flat concrete roof slabs on single story portions were relieved by large circular roof lights. The whole gave a strong feeling of light and space
Steelstown Church, built in 1975, is nearby. It was designed by Liam McCormick on a tight budget but has a strong architectural presence. Inside, with a sawn timber roof, and hidden side lights, its tent like interior has great atmosphere
This house, off the Culmore Road, was designed by architect Frank Corr as his home in 1950.It is an elegant house, from a period when building materials were scarce, with gazing all along one side overlooking a fine garden,
Marks of Time
Sketches of buildings in the North West and further afield with a little information about their history.