The canal ended in a ‘basin’ located behind the main streets of the town. This was quickly surrounded by warehousing and became a focus of economic activity. A plan was developed by architect Robert Woodgate for the area in 1802 and called the ‘New Town’. The first image is based upon a photograph taken in the 1890’s. The basin was filled in in the early 1970’s but features are likely to remain below the present surface. The warehousing to the right of the image still remains and the second image provides a detail with some lost features , like the goods hoist, reinstated.