Newtonstewart further east at the confluence of the Strule and the Owenkillew rivers, is another elegant village. Protected as a Conservation Area, its main street is flanked with historic buildings, some of very fine detail. This rises to focus on St Eugene’s Church at the top of the hill. The church dates from 1724 and is a rebuilding of a predecessor erected on the site in 1622. The town’s name refers to Sir William Stewart of Newtown Stewart in Galloway, Scotland, who acquired the town in 1629 and renamed it after his family and birthplace.