Behind the house the remains of an earlier bawn was excavated in 2013. The foundations of a circular flanker tower were uncovered. A fragment of the tower with a musket loop had become part of the boundary wall of the property. Its discovery resulted in the excavation. The tower was found to be large for the type, yet a fortified building at this location is not indicated in early Plantation maps. The excavators have tentatively suggested a date between 1620 and 1640 for the structure.