Strabane Workhouse is on the edge of the town and now used as council offices. A 1980’s refurbishment has lost most of the fine detail of the original building but the former entrance block in the middle and side wings can still be discerned. The building was one of a large number built throughout Ireland in the 1840’s to a standard layout. This building is unusual in that there are two stone buildings parallel to the entrance block. In most cases the block sat on its own in front of the rest of the complex. These buildings are in fact later additions and housed children’s accommodation and school rooms. The workhouse closed in the 1920’s and main block to the rear was demolished in the mid 1960’s.