The way of life of the area was dealt a major blow by the coming of the Anglo-Normans to Ulster in 1177. This region was never settled by them but they attacked Ardstraw in 1197 and raided through the area again in 1199. One of the innovations they introduced to the island was the construction of mottes – timber palisade forts on top of a steep man made hill. This structure in Newtonstewart was constructed in the same fashion at a strategic bend in the River Strule. It appears to have been constructed much later, however, and was occupied up to the end of the Sixteenth century. The foundations of a rectangular stone castle have been recorded on top of the mound, though these can’t be seen today.
Corrick Abbey between Newtonstewart and Gortin demonstrates that the Gothic style of architecture introduced to the island with the Normans was known in this area. Tradition asserts that Enri Aimhreidh O’ Neill (d1392) gave both cattle and land free of tithe for the foundation of this abbey. The remaining structure has a window dating from the fifteenth century with the remains of two quatrefoil windows (four curves forming a cross) within the tracery at the top. These would have originally been set within a pointed arch.
Enri Aimhreidh is better known for the foundation of a major castle above Newtonstewart. This appears to have been a significant building based on Norman fortresses such as Carrickfergus, Dundrum or Greencastle in County Donegal. The built remains we see today are the entrance to the structure which was flanked by towers similar to Greencastle. However the entrance then connected to a staircase more like that of a tower house before the top of the site was accessed. The castle was surrounded by a curtain wall with at least two projecting towers. It must have been an impressive sight.
By the fifteenth century stone fortifications were becoming much more common. The preferred form was the regular stone tower house with thick stone walls often with a vaulted stone ground floor (resistant to fire) a main hall at first floor level and the lord’s rooms above. The only surviving example in the area was built by the O’Neill’s on Mc Hugh’s island, but there was also a tower built in Strabane in 1573, one in Dunnalong (1568) and one built by the O’Donnell’s in Lifford in 1527. The O’Neills also captured one from the O’Donnells at Castlederg in 1497.
Pigeon Hill Motte, Newtownstewart
Corrick Abbey, Newtownstewart
'Harry Avery's Castle', Newtownstewart
Tower house, Island McHugh, Baronscourt