Gothic Limavady |
|
|
The arrival of the Normans to Ireland in 1167, (who are so closely associated with Romanesque architecture in England that it is referred to there as ‘Norman’) was quickly followed by the first use of the pointed arch on the island. This is the defining characteristic of Gothic architecture. Over the next three hundred years the style developed and went through a number of phases, and these will have influenced the church's of the area. Though these are now gone revivals in the Nineteenth Century have left examples of the three main types: First Pointed c.13th C; Decorated c.14th C; Perpendicular c.15th C.
It is difficult to know what the gothic buildings of this area really looked like. primitive gothic lancet windows on their own can be seen on a number of church ruins such as at St Cadan's Old Church in Magilligan or Dromahose Church near Limavady. One surviving fragment, however, clearly indicates that its sophisticated use should not be discounted. This is the tomb reputed to be that of Cooey Na-Gall O’Cahan (who died in 1395) in the chancel of Dungiven Priory. It is decorated with images of Scottish Galloglasses (mercenaries) and set within a niche vaulted by a Gothic arch supported by very fine stone tracery. This work is in a developed form of the Decorated Style with full curves and scrolls. It is understood that masons from Scotland carried out the work. |
|
The three main styles of Gothic windows.
St Caden's Old Church , Magilligan.
Coey Na-Gall tomb , Dungiven Priory.
|