Early Twentieth Century
Hidden down a side road from Ballymagorry Village is a more functional building - its former railway station. This is made from corrugated iron probably ordered from a pattern book and assembled on site. It reflects the increasing industrialisation of the period. The building was constructed as a station for the Donegal Railway, a narrow gauge line that opened in 1901 and ran from Derry to Strabane and then on into Co Donegal. It is seemingly untouched from when the last train passed in 1955.
The Edwardian period before the First World War was the high water mark of Victorian fashions. Architecture became much more sumptuous and decorative. Styles were mixed and matched for decorative effect and elements, particularly for less formal buildings, were reorganised to the same ends. Eden Terrace in Strabane (1910) was constructed by the Abercorn Estate during the period and bears many of the halmarks of the period- as well as the coat of arms of the landlord.
The Edwardian period came to a sudden halt with the First World War. Industrial production boomed during the period only to decline afterwards. However, despite major political changes which resulted in the partition of Ireland in 1922, confidence was still sufficiently high to comission a new bank in Strabane in the same year. This assertive building is a great addition to the town and reflects a continuing interest in classical architecture for institutions and public buildings during the period.
Standard Neo- Georgian police stations, built all over this region, are the most obvious early symbol of the new area and reflect the conservative character of the period. They display a modern sensibility, in their paired back detail, but are very Georgian in their proportions. They, however, complement the character of many of the area's towns and villages.
Ballymagorry Station, 1901.
Eden Terrace, 1910.
Former Northern Bank, Strabane, 1924